Monday, March 8, 2010

My Childhood


Growing up, dressing as a woman and grabbing my crotch to "Bad" by Michael Jackson wasn't exactly out of the norm for me and were actually everyday activities. My family travelled a lot and I had a hobby of buying and collecting rocks everywhere we went. I would save up my allowance (which was a quarter a day for cleaning my room) to purchase ROCKS... I guess the simple things in life satisfied me and I wasn't about to go dig them up myself. That would require work and I wasn't about to work for my passions.

My family used to call me the "Mean Bean" but truth be told I've only been in one fight in my entire life... it was a blood bath... punches were thrown that afternoon on the playground and me thinks I could hear cries for help in the background, unfortunately... those cries were on my behalf, none of my punches landed. I had other plans and techniques. I just decided to curl up in the fetal position while he kicked the shiz out of me for a few minutes and that was that. Playing dead was my line of defense. It was three minutes of public humiliation on the playground. Right then and there as a 3rd grader laid bleeding on the ground he learned an important lesson in life... He wasn't a fighter, he was a lover. I don't know if it was to save me from more public humiliation but it's worked out pretty nice for me so far and I haven't had to bleed to learn anymore valuable lessons.

Life has been good to me even though I grew up playing with my sisters barbies. It's a huge surprise to me that my parents never questioned my sexuality growing up but luckily I turned out alright. I was just "special." Maybe they didn't want to make things worse knowing that I couldn't pronounce my "R's" till the second gwade. Staying after school for speech therapy classes with the other "special kids" was hard enough for me (I'm just glad I wasn't the kid drooling all over his shirt). Questioning my sexuality would only put me over the edge.

I love my family! They were awesome growing up with and even moved in my behalf because I wasn't running around with the "right crowd." The move was hard because it was right in the middle of that awkward stage in middle school. Ya know, the one where your head is way too small for your body, people can't distinguish your nose from a zit and you had Ritz crackers permanently lodged up in your braces. But when high school rolled around I made friendships of an eternal nature. The guys I met have been the best examples to me and we've had one too many "good times" to count. I owe the happiness in my life to my friends and family because I have come to know that happiness is based on every decision we make and surrounding yourself by good people is one very important step in the pursuit of happiness.

1 comment:

  1. I too was unable to say my R's until the second grade. We were practicing rhyming with the word "fun." I knew that "run" rhymed with "fun," and when I rose my hand and told the teacher she looked at me strangely and said it kind of rhymes with "fun." She then proceeded to write "one." After three useless attempts to tell her what I really said I knew that I had a speech impediment. Following 4 months of saying "They're GRRRRRREAT!" like Tony the Tiger I was ablen to say my R's like the rest of them.

    ReplyDelete