Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Daily Awkward Moments...


I have come to realize that there aren’t too many people more awkward than me as I walk around USU’s campus. I have noticed that I have multiple awkward experiences daily. It all starts with a simple “How are you?” and it’s all down hill from there. I always say “How are you?” at the exact same time as the other person and then it falls in complete silence as we wait for one another to answer. Then, when we finally get the courage to answer, we say “good” at the exact same time, give each other weird looks, and walk away. How is it possible to mess up a simple “Hello, How are you?” If you can’t master that you’re due for a lot of awkward experiences in life.

The best is when you see someone walking towards you, someone you don’t know well enough to stop and talk with but that you will throw out an occasional “what’s up” to. The other day I saw a girl that I knew from church walking towards me. We both threw out the “How are ya?” at the exact same time as we passed each other. We both turned around and kept eye contact (even though we were walking opposite directions) to see how the other would respond. I held strong, I didn’t want to answer “good” at the same time so I didn’t say anything. She obviously had the same plan or didn’t hear me ask how she was. When we were about 30 feet away and after about 10 seconds of extreme eye contact I couldn’t take the silence anymore so I shouted at the top of my lungs “good!!!!!!,” she gave me a weird look and we both went our separate ways. I don’t say “hi” to her as I pass her on campus anymore.

There is also the classic “How are you?” as I quickly respond “nothing” or “What’s up man?” as I respond “Good dude, How you doin?.” It seems that I’m not as quick on my feet as I’d like to be. If you are having similar experiences at work or school... you are not alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment